Friday, June 8, 2012

Final Days

5-30-12

The CAM of all CAMS 

I think I explained this in an earlier blog.  A CAM is a special education campus.  This CAM was out of town and worth the drive.  Notice their sign is written in the language of the bilingual school we visited earlier in the trip.




 School office building 


This was the only place in MX, besides Dr. McCormick's house, that I saw recycling going on.



Check out their room where they learn to bake.


 Professional quality appliances.


Some of their many dishes.  We were welcomed with fresh bread.  Yum!


The boys learn woodworking.  Their teacher was awesome!  He stated that they make creations, not furniture.  He stressed that the students were different, not disabled and that they all have something to contribute.  I bought several items!


\




The ladies learn a trade as well.  Check out the salon!


They go through modules.  Some girls need to repeat some modules several times.  They learn how to wax eyebrows on a balloon, they learn to highlight hair, braid, give manicures, you name it.


They even had a computer lab!  - Additional funds come from private sources.  I would love to know more about how/why this school has so much when others don't have near these resources.  Though you will see they have tiny classrooms.



They even have a SmartBoard and they use it!  I found a good use for our old laptop.  It is in perfect shape, just needs to be plugged in.  I hope they get lots of use out of it!


Parents built this "house" on site.  It is beyond phenomenal and makes life skills classrooms back home look depressing.  Students can stay overnight with teacher supervision and practice the skills necessary to live on their own.  


So beautiful.  Not just a mattress in a small office space.


I want that door!

 Living room


Kitchen - all the amenities.


Gorgeous furniture and dishes.


The baked goods are being sold for a profit.  Students learn to grocery shop, count money, budget, etc. from the money made from selling the food they make.


They even have a green house.


I became excited when I heard they could do our hair.  We had to come back :)




Students in action.


Complimentary lunch before getting my hair done.  They have these food carts most schools.


Brenda's braid - student salon


Ivonne's braid





This was large compared to some of the rooms.  What would be considered a small office here had a teacher and 4 students there.  This room was for 8-10 students I believe.  I am standing at the door.


 Yay - it is time for Cindy, Catharina and I to get our hair done.

Girls are practicing giving foil highlights.



Cindy

Hair before

during


After.  The girl braiding my hair was deaf.  I learned how to sign thank you to her.  Thank you is not the same in Mexican sign language.  Luckily for a friend, our sign for thank you means "good" to them.  It would have been funny if she said something inappropriate.  :)



 They are strict at the school.  This girl was disciplined for now wearing her apron.  It is important to the teacher that these girls leave with a vocation.
 


Inside the green house.




The girls with braids

Pic with principal


We went into town so our driver could eat lunch.


Wine from the winery we visited on the first week.


Dr. McCormick bought zucchini flowers to use in a quiche.  She also bought the fungus that grows on corn.  It the US it is viewed as a horrible thing when the fungus grows on corn.  It ruins the crop.  In MX it is considered a delicacy and worth spoiling the corn over.  The fungus is more expensive than corn.  They both tasted great to me! 


5-31-12 

Today in Spanish class, we walked around town learning the names of things we saw and learning a little more about Mexican history.  It was just me and my teacher.  The other girls did not go.

This is inside a theatre in Queretaro.  It was here that the Mexican constitution was signed.  There are letters from all the representatives that signed. 


It is still an active theatre. They were setting up for a show.



Outside of theatre


I thought of Kristen, Gretchen, Chris, and Ryan.  They sell JD in a can in MX with cola, with ginger, or with mineral water.  


My senora sprung for dessert on my last big meal at "home".


I had a barbacoa taco for the first time that day.  I agreed to eat a lengua taco but the taco place ran out of lengua (tongue) the night before we left and I had no time or money on our last day.  Next time!

 6-1-12

Last day. 

They had a big meal for the families and Spanish teachers.  My senora told me her house was my house and I am welcome back any time with Ryan and Ras.  Love her!  She said she would never forget me and would salud me with her friend the next weekend; I introduced her to her new favorite beverage.  I got her address so I can send her a postcard from Africa. 

Me and my Mexican momma. 

School director, Gabby
Suzy, my Spanish teacher
Paty, other Spanish teacher
Dr. McCormick, A&M professor

 "Aun-DEE" and her momma

 Brenda and her momma

 Yummy Mexican food lunch


Family pic

After the luncheon, we had the afternoon off.  I planned all along to go shopping on this day.  Catharina was a great shopping partner.  We stopped by her place to drop off some things.  She was living in luxury!!




 a guest room - I should have taken pics of Catharina's room



 Gorgeous house.  Only house I saw with such a big  yard.


I had to go back to the Mercado before I left to take these pics for my favorite princess, Ms. Julia.








Andrea buying a few last minute items.


I had to eat one more tamale before I left.  This was a mole tamale that was wrapped in banana leaves instead of a corn husk.  It was yummy.


Last night was our first night to attempt to go dancing at a club.  We failed miserably.  There are no good places to dance in walking distance.  We should have taken a cab.  Oh well, another thing on the agenda for next time. 

The number one thing on the agenda for next time is to go with Ryan and Ras on a tour of haunted houses and hear the legends of Queretaro.  I didn't know they had tours with English translation.  This is now on my newly created bucket list.  Fun! 


We went to a karaoke place.  The guy only sang depressing songs.  We left before it got fun.


Since karaoke was depressing we kept looking for another place to go.  After striking out at many places, we settled for the rooftop restaurant/bar close to Brenda's place.  The shrimp pizza was delicious.  The Spanish band singing American cover songs was painful to say the least! 



That wraps up a fantastic 3 weeks.  The next morning I took a final stroll to Del Sol and finished packing.  I enjoyed my cab ride to the school.  The cab driver knew as much English as I knew Spanish.  We communicated quite a bit. 

No problems flying, nice meal at Panera bread on the way home, and girl talk on the drive. 

Ras was at a swim meet when I got back.  Best embrace ever when I woke Ryan up on the couch.  I missed my men.


5 days home
It was good to be home.  Ryan and I took a nice trip to Spain during my 5 days home - the Spain cabin at 7F lodge.  A nice get away after being away from Ryan for far too long. 

Ras unfortunately was diagnosed with hypertension and I spent more time in doctors offices that I could have foreseen.  Not the kind of mother/son time I was looking for.  So far the results seem as good as they can be.  Nothing irregular for kidneys/heart.

Time to hit publish so I can finish packing, get to the airport, and start the Africa segment of my summer travel blog.  I can't wait to share the adventure!  


1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying this blog!! So amazing that you are having these experiences...can't wait to read about Africa!

    ReplyDelete