Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Name is Not Muzungu

6-13-12

Today was a rather relaxed day.  Megan, Isaac, and I walked into town.  Megan bought some paintings and I exchanged my money.  At the bank there was a female guard holding a rifle completely knocked out asleep.  I so wanted to take a picture but I didn't want to get in trouble.

At night, Megan, Jason, Kari and I went to dinner to discuss our goals during our stay and discuss how Megan and I can best help out with responsibilities around the house.  Megan and I also learned a lot about the culture here. 

White people are called muzungus and are viewed as a paycheck by most Ugandans.  Children frequently come up and say, "Muzungu, give me some money."  We are in the height of Muzungu season right now.  A lot of Muzungus come on short mission trips during the summer.  On Main Street you can buy a t-shirt that says My Name is Not Muzungu. 

The most important thing for lasting change is to build relationships with the people in order to help them help themselves.  Jason and Kari are working hard to dispel the Muzungu stereotype and prove they are here for a very long time and have longterm goals in mind as opposed to shortterm fixes/handouts.

Here is the house the Segners are renting for 6 months.  Photo taken from across the street.


Closer view outside their gate.

Front yard.  Isn't it gorgeous??


Across the street abandoned house.


House next door. Talk about tight security.  They have an armed guard and razor wire!




Backyard of Segner house



My living quarters


Avocado tree behind our living quarters.  When an avocado falls on the roof at night it sounds like gunshots are going off.  The avocados are HUGE.


The avocado tree is next to the chicken coop.


No comments:

Post a Comment