Monday, June 11, 2012

I am in AFRICA!


I enjoyed two smooth flights (Houston to London & London to Entebbe) and managed to get a few hours of sleep in.  I didn’t try to venture out during my 9 hour layover in London.  I had too much luggage and I enjoyed the time to relax at the airport.  Once I landed it was much easier to gather my checked luggage that I had imagined.  I traveled with six fifty-pound pieces of checked luggage.  Besides my own luggage, I brought medical supplies and some of the Segner’s personal belongings. A customs officer demanded to look in the bins.  Besides that short delay, all was fine.
I couldn’t believe I was IN Africa.  Kari and Jason greeted me at the airport.  It was so good to catch up with them.  While we talked in the car I had to concentrate on paying attention due to taking in all the sights.  They have a nice van.  They drive on the opposite side of the road here.


I did not expect so many people.  They said in Uganda there is the population of California squeezed into a place the size of Oregon.  The population is expected to double in approx. 20 years.  Very sad statistics.  There is no way to describe what I saw.  Here is a small sample. 
Miles and miles of broken buildings and unusual sights like carcasses hanging, etc.  Not far from the airport I saw a camel on the side of the road.  Not something you see every day.




There are people with guns everywhere.  I am not used to that yet.  It is a bit disconcerting.  I kept looking at Kari to observe her reaction.  She is so comfortable walking past guns.  Her ease around the guns made me relax a bit.  There are guns to greet you entering the grocery store.  The car was searched just parking the car entering the grocery store parking lot.  They said the police sometimes make up reasons to give you fines.  Not in Kansas anymore.
The scenery is beautiful.  The tea fields are a beautiful, bright shade of green and the mountains are gorgeous.



It was a great first day.  The Segner kiddos enjoyed showing me around their house and yard.  Hadlee and I had girl time.  I did her hair and make-up.  Hadlee visited with me while I unpacked my suitcase and told me we were having girl time.  I got THE best hugs from Hadlee and Pierce tonight.
Karson and Everett were very excited that one of the bins I carried over had their light sabers in it.  The grown-ups introduced them by going in the backyard to spar.





Karson came running down from his tree house.




I am all settled into my room.  I share a room with Megan.  It felt like moving into freshman dorm room – deciding where we were going to put things.  We are all set.  Isaac and Seg hung my mosquito net. 




We had a great dinner.  Seg grilled some pork.  Lu - don't be jealous of this pit.  Kari is cooking for 10 each night. 


Check out Hadlee's sweet braid and make-up :)

Before arriving, I said Mexico was my transition country to Africa.  It really was.  There were people with guns in Mexico, but not even close to this many.  Just like Mexico, people try to sell you something even when you are stopped in the street in your car .   Flexilegal applies here as well.  Driving laws are mere guidelines that are not typically followed – especially the motorcycle taxis.  They have the same type of phone cards. No A/C.  Fresh fruit is better here, etc. 
The best news for me on my first day is that they have a strong internet connection and cheap phone rates.  Ryan, Ras and I can use FaceTime for free to communicate.  Anyone with an iPhone can give me a call.  There is an 8 hour difference.  I have to call Ryan at 6:30 a.m. to talk to him at 10:30 p.m.  If I am in the main house, I will answer.  We may get the internet to work in our guest house tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment